IMDb users gave 67% approval with 502 votes. User comments were raving: "An exhilerating ride"... "Electrifying from beginning to end"... At Rottentomatoes the film got 85% approval with 7,431 votes.
Then there's the professional media critics. There were 2 approvals and 20 disapprovals according to Rottentomatoes:
- San Francisco Chronicle: "a whiff of amateurism."
- Orlando Sentinel: "An eye-rollingly clumsy amble."
- Boston Globe: an attempt "to cash in on apparent Tea Party interest."
- Chicago Tribune: "crushingly ordinary in every way."
- Roger Ebert: "letdown."
- Rolling Stone: "flapping on screen like a bludgeoned seal."
- Washington Post: "nearly as slitted, didactic and simplistic as Rand's free market fable."
- Wall Street Journal: "Don't hold your breath for parts 2 and 3."
- Hollywood Reporter: Flubbed, under-produced representation of the first third of Ayn Rand's still controversial novel bodes ill...